Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Grass can be dangerous

I am flummoxed by the wasp

     I am talking about Freddie, the cicada killer that has taken up residence along side my driveway.
     Wikipedia said it is a solitary wasp, living alone.  (Yes, I realize that is redundant, but I want to be sure I understand how it lives.)  One article called it beneficial;  generally passive unless provoked or threatened.
   So, is mowing going to provoke it?  When I go over the entry hole, will it get really pissed and come after me?
    I have three possible actions I can take:
1.  Ignore it.  Winter will be here soon and it will die naturally.
2.  Hire someone to mow the lawn.
3.  Attempt to kill it.

     I know, I should deal with it.  But I hate to kill an insect that is beneficial, even though it is as big as a small Cessna and seems to buzz me quite frequently.
     Adding to my bug problem, yellow jackets have taken up residence in a post on the porch.  There is a quarter inch gap, and they have nested in there.
     I did spray that spot twice tonight.  Hopefully, that nest will be gone.
     Two years ago I thought it would be a good idea to put some trim pieces over the openings.....that is now going on my project list for this fall.
     But a bigger problem is the softball size nest up in the eave on my east side.  The nest is waaaay up there, and I don't think my 20 ft. spray will reach it, even standing on a ladder on uneven ground in the dark with a flashlight in one hand and wasp spray in the other, leaving me nothing to hang on with.
     As you can tell, I am paranoid about wasps.  I don't like them.  Yellow jackets, hornets, mud daubers....all of them give me the chills.
     Notice I said wasps.  Bees are not wasps.  Bees are hairy and produce the fruit and vegetables we enjoy.  Bees also produce honey.  I like honey.  So, I like bees and try not to hurt them.
     I have nightmares about being attacked by swarms of wasps and getting hundreds of stings.
     Which is why I won't go to Texas or any state with killer bees and presidential candidates as governor.
     Take that, Wisconsin.
     Once a student brought in a paper wasp nest to class.  I had fears I would walk into the room one morning and be attacked by 1 billion wasps living inside and just waiting until they had me alone.
     I have a funny story about wasp nests and a brother...but I will save that for another day.
    Now I am off to dreamland, hopefully a place without stingers of any kind.




No comments:

Post a Comment