Tuesday, February 19, 2019

sniff, sniff, taste

I like a glass of wine on occasion

     Usually, any time  red meat, fish, or chicken is served.  Or pasta.  Or pizza.  Or any kind of cheese.  Sometimes with nothing at all.
     I like a glass of wine sometimes.
     I am not a wine expert.  I can't taste the rick flavors of oak, or the subtle hint of peach or the suggestion of cherry.  Hell, I can't even tell chicken from pork.
     But I know when I take that first sip, I will be very content, or very unhappy.
     I have not had wine in February.  Part of it is because I had a tooth pulled and alcohol was off the list for a while.  Another part is no one has been over to say yes to me popping open a bottle.  (Hint!)
     But tonight, I felt like enjoying a glass of wine.  After all, a storm is coming, snow and ice are on the way, the cold is continuing.  A nice glass of red would be welcome.
     So I randomly picked a bottle from my recent mega bottle purchase.
     Nice looking label.  Screw top, which at one time was not good but now is sometimes preferred because the cork doesn't become dry and ruin the wine.
     It's from Iowa.  Well, Illinois produces some good wine, as does Wisconsin and Michigan and New York, so why not Iowa?
     Hearty red color, smell is a little sweet, if that makes sense.
     The first sip......
    I have had wine that truly melts in your mouth.  Julia has introduced me to several varieties that I love.  Wine that when you put it in your mouth you just want to keep it there to let the flavors absorb into your entire body, sending a warm feeling of happiness and satisfaction to all parts of your brain.
     This was not that kind of wine.
     This was more, Holy mother of god what the hell?????   tasting experience.
A rational person would have spit it out and chalked it up to bad luck.   Mrs. Dickow didn't raise an idiot.  However she did raise me.
     I finished the glass, complaining all the while about the truly terrible after taste.
     I don't know what kerosene tastes like, but I suspect this wine had a bit of kerosene added as flavoring.
     So I HAD A SECOND GLASS!!  This time I tried a little ice, thinking the cold would cut the taste.  It did not. 
     Again, a rational person would have called game, set, match  and dumped it.     This fool recapped it, and put it in the fridge to try tomorrow.  Have mercy on me, I will be dumb enough to have another glass.
     Anyone who wants to join me is welcome..... just don't smoke after drinking it.
     Peace and Love and pinot noir, please.



No comments:

Post a Comment