Monday, February 11, 2019

old friends

There is something to be said about old friends

     I don't mean people.  Or the tv show that is in it's 100th season of reruns. 
     Just things I am comforted  by.
     Like Casablanca.  Or reading The Christmas Carol.  Listening to music that I have grown up with, or in some cases, grown old with.
     On a day, rather a night, like this it would make sense to visit my old friend Robert Service.  He was a poet, and he wrote about Alaska.
     The Cremation of Sam McGee is one of his poems, and it is a great read on a night like  this, or a day like tomorrow.  I am sure you can Google it and find a version on line.  If you do, read it out loud because there is a rhythm to his words.
     Hot chocolate is another old friend.  I made the mistake of not buying milk today, and there is not enough for a cup tonight and breakfast tomorrow.  Hopefully I will be able to get out and replenish the milk supply tomorrow.
     Next winter I should reread My Side of the Mountain, by Jean Craighead George.  It's an old book, but a classic about a boy who runs away and spends the winter in a tree on his grandfather's abandoned farm.  I think that would be a great way to spend a couple of cold, snowy, icy days.....and maybe even reading one chapter while outside would give added realism to the story.
     If I can get out to  buy milk, I will also get potatoes because I think I have a hankering for shepherd's pie......another comfort for me on a cold day.
Yes, there is something to be said about old friends, human and not.
     Peace and Love.  And whatever comfort you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment