Thursday, December 28, 2017

a winter's eve

I just finished shoveling the walk and driveway

     It may be only 9 degrees, but it was beautiful out there!
     Not a lot of cars, so the roads were fairly quiet.
     Not much noise at all, just the sound of my shovel, and a neighbor's, scraping the pavement.
     When I was growing up in Chicago, we lived in an apartment building for my first 12 years.  I loved hearing the sound of the shovels as they  cleared the walks.  Tonight, hearing my neighbor's rhythmic beat as he shoveled  brought me back to being a little boy, snug in bed, hearing the world start to come alive.
Julia asked me why I was shoveling, Jackie wondered about my sanity, and I am sure there may have been a neighbor not exactly thrilled with my metal on concrete chorus at 9:30.  My only answer is:  I felt like it.
     That's it.  I felt like shoveling.
     I took frequent breaks to catch snowflakes on my tongue and listen to the quiet.  Part of me wanted to make a batch of hot chocolate and go across the street to the park for a stroll through the woods.  But I didn't this night.  Maybe when the moon is bright I will.
     I even thought about making a snow angel.......but I didn't.  Now, snug and warm in the house, I wish I had.
     Funny thing is, I didn't feel cold.  And I don't feel tired.  And most importantly for a guy my age, my chest doesn't hurt.
     Don't curse the snow, embrace it.  At least I say that now.  My story might be different in late January.






No comments:

Post a Comment