Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Time flies

I remember the great Blizzard of 67

     It was 50 years ago today, that being Wednesday.
     I was home from Northern......I think we were on break.  I remember it being warm and then the snow started.
     And it snowed.  And snowed.  And snowed.
     I used to work at a National Tea food store about three blocks from my house.  I went in and the manager saw me and offered to pay me cash to bag groceries.  The store was packed.
     A girl I went to grammar and high school with came in and saw me.
     Fresca cola must have just come out, because their tag line in ads was feels like a blizzard or makes a blizzard... something like that.
     Pam came up to me and said "Take down that display!  It really is a blizzard!"  It was funny.
     She had a blizzard party and I went to a party with a bunch of people that I really didn't fit in with in high school and a semester of college had not changed that.  I don't remember alcohol, but I do remember jumping off her porch into huge drifts of snow.
     I had spent most of the day shoveling our sidewalk and pushing cars out of parking spaces as people foolishly tried to drive.  Irving Park was littered with buses and cars.  I think the L even stopped running.
     The following Monday I had to go back to NIU...and it may have even been Sunday.  Consider that an alternate fact.
     It was the first time my dad took me to the train station downtown.  I told him he didn't have to, but he said he wanted to.  I had made that trip several times, always by myself.  I guess he was worried about me traveling in a snowed in city.
     We walked to the L, got downtown, and I caught a train to DeKalb.
     There was hardly any snow when I got off the train.
     It would have been neat to walk to the lakefront, sled down the hill at Montrose Beach, build some snow forts or snow caves.....but I did not.
    50 years ago.
    Jeez....where did life go?



No comments:

Post a Comment