Monday, November 28, 2016

ho, ho, ho boy

I went Christmas shopping today

     That is unusual.  Very unusual.
     I usually wait until Christmas Eve, then I go out looking for specific items that are never in stock in the right color or size.
     I wander from store to store, not finding what I want.
     So today I broke tradition and went early.
     Same result.
     Jackie wanted a cookie cutter shaped like a dog bone.  No, this is not a Christmas present, so I can talk about it.
     I went to a store specializing in baking needs.....it was closed.
     I went to a pet store, and they suggested Bed, Bath and Beyond.
(Digression....a friend of ours has a husband who does not have English as his first language.  When he was still learning, he always referred to the store as Bed, Bath and Behind.)
     I asked an employee if they had cookie cutters shaped like a dog biscuit.  He told me they normally did, but he did not order any this year.  But I could order them on line.
     So we went back to a computer and he looked up the product.   Three varieties;  small dog, big dog, variety pack.
     I asked how much the shipping was or could I pick it up in the store at no cost.
    His answer.....shipping to my home was free.
    This product is made in the USA, which was the only item I bought today that was.  It's hard to find made in the USA products......I try.
     Anyway, I charged it.
     Total cost?  $1.37!!  And they are shipping it to me for free!!
     My guess is it will cost more to mail it than the product cost.  Tis the season.
     Next I priced a new camera body.......not going to happen.
     I also bought a printer.  We have had our printer for at least 10 years.  It seems to eat cartridges.  So, Emily did some research from Consumer Reports and found a reasonably priced Brother.
     I went to Office Max, and found they don't have it.  No surprise, since I looked on line and no one seemed to have it it stock currently.  But the next step up was in stock and on sale for $149.  It's a $249 printer!
    But it was not the one I was looking for, so I went to Office Depot, which is owned by Office Max.  They had the same printer for $179.  I figured I would ask if they would price match so I didn't have to drive back, but when they called the other store, I was told the price was $179.
    Now, I don't always trust people.  So I drove back to the first store and discovered the $149 was on a different product.
    So I bought the printer.  As I was standing at the check out counter, I asked about cartridges.  I was told there is enough provided to do about 300 copies.
Well, since the whole issue started because I have finally finished the dreaded Christmas letter, I said I better buy cartridges.
     I almost fainted.
     This guy comes out carrying an armload of what looks like firewood.  But it wasn't firewood, it was ink cartridges.
     It takes four of them.  They are about $70 each.   Damn ink cost more than the printer!
     I was so depressed by this time, I had a coffee.  That made the day go much better.
    Now I have to do some on line shopping......

No comments:

Post a Comment