Tuesday, April 25, 2017

damn it

Oops....... I did it again

   No, I am not just throwing out lyrics to old music.
   Let me explain.  I don't always ask questions, or for advice.
   I have some patio furniture.  Wooden.  Eucalyptus wood, if I remember.
   I usually sand it down and coat it with a polyurethane at the start of the summer season.
   Last year I did that, and when the first coat was dry I put a second coat on parts of the chair...armrests, for example.... without sanding the first coat.  I guess you do that to make sure the second coat adheres.
   Well I didn't.
   So the chairs look mottled on the arms.  And the table looks mottled.
   I figured do it right this year.
   I sanded them down.
   Then I went and bought the polyurethane.
   Now, a really smart buyer would say to the paint store guy, "Hey Al, I would like some of the polyurethane you sold me last year."
   But not me.
   I went in, said I want a quart of Steffens for an outside project.
   Bought it.  Took it home.  Opened it.  Smelled it.
   It did not smell like the stuff I used last year.  The can did not look the same as I remember.
   But I applied the product.  Then I rummaged through my shelf of crap and found the almost empty can from last year.....and it is not the same.  Not even close.  It's called Zar
   I read the label.  It's designed for doors and wooden windows.  It's oil based.  And it takes 48 hours to dry, so avoid moisture.
   I guess the piece that is out on the patio is not going to meet the 48 hour window.
   Plus, it was twice the cost of what I had been using.
   Jackie, always being the most logical, said, "Why didn't you just ask him what you bought last year?"
   Because I knew, damn it!  I knew what I wanted.  I wanted Steffens.  The question is why?  I had never used it before, never bought it before, had no knowledge or experience with it....so why?
   Tomorrow I will call him and ask him for suggestions.  Maybe he will say it will be fine.  Maybe he will say......sand everything down and come buy some Zar.
And maybe it won't rain in the next 48 hours because I can't get my car in the garage with all the sticky patio furniture in it.
Damn.

Something lighter.

My mom's favorite

Look what Jackie got for Easter!!

Such a sad face......


No comments:

Post a Comment