Monday, February 6, 2017

these 2 feet were walkin

I went for a couple of walks today

   My friend Todd lives by Skare Park and walks in the park regularly.  I decided to join him and his furry companions today.
   I probably should have told him ahead of time.
   By the time I got to the park, he was already on the trail.  I took some pictures, fussed around, and saw him coming across the driving range.
   We talked, and I said I would tell him ahead of time when I plan on going.
    I used to go to the park a lot.  But I have not been there for a couple of years.
   As I walked  I stopped to say hello to my old friends, the oaks.  They look a little beat up, but they are strong and still standing.  I was amazed to see the hollow tree still up.  When I taught, our end of the year picnic was there and kids loved to stand inside the old tree.
    I had gone a ways down the trail when I realized why I had been avoiding the park.
    The April tornado went through here on its way to destroying Emily's house and several other homes in our area.
    Hard to believe that was 2 years ago in April.  Time flies.
   As I stood among the fallen trees, I suddenly started crying.  Can 't explain it, just started bawling like a baby.
   And I gave thanks....for my family.  For the trees.  For Emily and John and Camryn not being in the house.  For Erin having sense to go to the basement.     For all the people who may have lost homes but not lives.
    Maybe that's why I hadn't gone through the park.  I didn't want to see the reminders of the storm that forever altered our lives.
    Now I have, and maybe that's good.
   We'll see Wednesday.

I love oak trees


The hollow tree... still standing

A tangle of trees

paper wasp nest



Met a fun guy  (fungi, get it?  Ha Ha Ha)

Shh....it's sleeping


No comments:

Post a Comment