Monday, April 20, 2015

just being safe, that's all

I lock doors at night

     I never used to.  But a few years ago there was a serial killer roaming the area and his victims were within a certain distance of railroad tracks.  In fact, they called him the Railway Killer and he was responsible for at least 15 deaths all across the country, including one in downstate Illinois.
    That was in 1999.  I have locked the doors ever since.
     At our hold house, I buried a key so when I got locked out I could dig it up and let myself in.  Of course, I did that after I was locked out and sat on the breezeway for four hours while Jackie was out.       And when I locked myself out again, I dug up half the yard looking for that key and never found it.
     This house has a deadbolt and a key lock.  (I know there is a technical term for it...but it's the lock on the doorknob.)  I lock them both.
     I am a little obsessive/compulsive.
     I take my pills, check the door, open the door, check the garage is closed, close the door and re-lock it. Then I go to bed.  (One time I did not follow this routine, the garage door was left open all night in -20 degree weather.  I think that's what killed the power washer.)
     John and Emily are not used to my weird way of doing things.
     Luckily John carries a phone with him at all times, because when he locked himself out Sunday morning he was able to text Emily to let him in.
     "Who locks both locks?" they asked.
     Hey, I am a vulnerable senior citizen with a tendency to freak out over police shows that lead to nightmares and daymares of people breaking in and stealing from us and beating us senseless with a box of spaghetti.
     People like the Railroad Killer.
     I hid a spare key in the garage, not realizing if I can't get in the garage it does no good.
     I also didn't realize the key was cut wrong and for some reason won't open the deadbolt.  Don't ask how I found that out!
     After telling John and Emily that I always lock both locks and you have to be sure to twist the button on the entry door, I failed at my own advice.
     Luckily Jackie was up.  I knocked a few times and she answered the door and let me in; seems I could not find the spare key, again.
     Maybe a keyless entry system is the way to go.
     But then I have to remember a combination, and that is a whole different problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment