Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Out of my element in the elements

I do not like talking about my religion

     I really don't like talking religion with people.  How and what people believe is really none of my business.....and what and how I believe is none of theirs.
     That said, I do go to church on a fairly regular basis.  I take part in worship services, I attend church functions, I do my best to be a good church member. And in the words of the Monkees, I am a believer.
      I don't need to tell people that.
      Some religions send people door to door to convert or recruit people.  I have been known to be a little sarcastic/obnoxious when they show up at the door.  I guess inviting those people into the house to join me in a ritual goat slaughter in the back yard was a bit much.   But they never came back.
      But I also test myself, push myself to do something beyond what I am comfortable doing.
      Today was one of those days.
      The Episcopal Church of St. Paul in DeKalb is where Jackie and I attend church.  In fact, we were married there back in the dark ages.
       A few years ago we started a program to re energize the church, connect more with our neighbors, reach out to those in need.
       That's why I was standing out in the rain in front of the church on Normal Road today.
       The event is called Prayers 2 Pass.  We have done it for three years now.  Basically simple.  We have water and a snack and we give it to students and residents as they walk past.  There is a poster board for students to write a prayer; a secret box for them to write a prayer and deposit it in and have it read only by God; and an offer to have Rev. Stacy pray over them.  They can pick one, all or none.
      We had two stations and worked in pairs........I suggested that as a safety measure.
      "Um, do you realize you are having an older guy who is a stranger offering candy to young girls?" I asked during a planning session.
      In the past, we have talked with students who were Jewish, Muslim, or Hindu.  We have talked to students who were graduating, and some who were still not sure.  We have talked to students who were admittedly gay or lesbian.
     We often hear tales of terror from university campuses.  Hazing parties, drunken initiations, assaults are commonly reported in newspapers covering campuses.
      But we don't often hear about the kids who are just plain scared.  Or lonely.  Or troubled. Or worried that they won't do well on the two finals they have next Tuesday.
     One young man stopped by and said, "I am not a Christian, but I appreciate what you do.  You were out here last year and I really appreciated talking to you.  I'll take a water, and thanks again for what you are doing."
     It's not a high pressure approach.  But it is a chance for a young person  to hear a friendly voice, or  a chance to talk to someone, or just to grab a snack or drink.
     And although I am out of my comfort zone, when it's done, I always leave feeling very happy and content.

   
   
   
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment