Wednesday, April 9, 2014

I didn't mean to be cold

Sometimes I don't hear what people really say

     We bought Julia a white bonnet bed and dresser when we lived on Southview Drive.  Because we didn't have a lot of money, we watched for sales.  When the dresser we wanted went on sale for $49 instead of the $89, we decided to buy one.
      But the Rockford Sears stores did not have any at that price.  Evidently the sale was only in Chicago.
     So we loaded up Julia in the Chevy Nova and went to Woodfield Mall and bought a dresser.  Of course, Jackie's parents lived in Rolling Meadows, so we also worked in a free meal at her parents' house.
     I had car top carrying racks.  We put the racks on and loaded the dresser on top of the car, making sure it was secure.
    We got home and gently unloaded the dresser.  We took it out of the box, and much to my distress, one of the legs was broken.
     I called the salesman on Monday.  He apologized.  I asked if I could bring it back to the local Sears store instead of going all the way back to Woodfield.
     He said he would check.   Let's give him a name:  Bill.  He was a nice guy, mid 50s, very genial and pleasant to deal with.  He thought we could return it to the local store, but he wasn't positive.  He even said he would see if they could send out a new dresser at the sale price. He promised to call back on Tuesday with an answer.
     Tuesday came and went, no call.
      Wednesday came and went, no call.
     So I called on Thursday.  Bill was not there.  I gave my name and phone number and asked that he call me.
     A few days passed.  No word from Bill.  So I called and ask to speak to Bill and was told, and this is to the word:  "He's no longer with us."   I said ok, let me speak to the manager.  The man said the manager would have to call me back.
     Repeat that paragraph on Sunday.  Repeat it on the following Wednesday.  Finally, I get the manager.  I explain the problem, the manager asks who the salesman was, I say Bill.  He replies, "He is no longer with us."
    That was all I needed to hear.
     So I say something to the effect of, "I have heard that sorry excuse more than once.  I have a broken dresser that is of no use to me, you guys have been ignoring my calls for two weeks, I know Bill is no longer there and truthfully, I don't give a crap.  I am tired of dealing with you.   I am bringing the damn dresser back Saturday and I expect a full refund because I am tired of your shit!  This is lousy customer service and it's no wonder Bill's not with you anymore."
     I was a little mad.
     Saturday comes, we  load the white bonnet dresser on top of the Nova and drive to Woodfield.  I go to customer service and give the man the receipt and say, "I am bringing this damn dresser back. It has a broken leg.  Someone needs to get if off the roof of my car because it is now your problem."
     The man looks at the receipt and says, "Oh.  Bill was your salesman.  He's no longer with us."
     The absolute wrong thing to say to me at this point.
     "I don't give a crap where he is, just take the dresser."
      The guy looks at me with a pained expression and says, "He had a heart attack and died on the sales floor ."
      I was stunned.  "He died?"
     "Yes," said the guy behind the counter.  "He was really a nice guy."
      By now Jackie had come in the store.  I looked at her and said, "Jackie, Bill's no longer with us."
      She said, " I know, they have told us that before."
      "No, he's not with us.  He's not with anyone....he's dead!"
      We both very meekly watched the men take the dresser off the car and do the paper work to credit our account.
      Somewhere in the Sears' sale force there are a couple of people who probably think I am one cold hearted SOB.
      We eventually got a dresser through the local store and they delivered it.  I think it was even cheaper then when it was on sale.
     And no one died.

   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment