Monday, April 21, 2014

I may be unfaithful

I fell in love in Italy

     Jackie knows.  She is not happy, but will accept it as long as it does not get out of hand.
     We met on a sunny afternoon in Panzano.  She was dark, great legs, an aroma of fruits and flowers wafted from her mouth.  When my lips touched her, I could taste the Tuscan sun, and the sandy soil that nurtured her and cultivated her.
      Her name?  Chianti Classico.
     I have had Chianti wine....but this was my first involved experience with Classico.
     Classico.  More than a name.  It is a brand.
     In many areas of Europe, certain names are sacred.  Champagne comes from a region in France.  If it does not come from that region, it is just sparkling wine.  Parmesan is a cheese from a specific region in Italy. Gruyere cheese comes from Gruyere in Switzerland.   Countries and producers don't like it when someone markets a product implying the product comes from that region while in fact it does not.
     In Italy, we learned many regions make a Chianti.  But Chianti Classico comes from the Tuscan region.  Each bottle has a little rooster on the label, designating it as authentic.
     US Customs regulates the amount of wine you can bring back.  I brought as much as I could, but quickly ran out.  I found some in DeKalb, but it was quite expensive.  I found some in Woodman's in Rockford, and it was a good price.  I bought several bottles and it was a very good wine.  Sipping it brings back fond memories of our two weeks in Tuscany.
     So when I walked into Aldi's and found their wine display, I was amazed.  First, because Aldi's sells wine and Walgreen does not.  But mainly because there was some Chianti Classico, with the rooster, for only $6.99 a bottle!  Less than half the cost of a bottle from Woodman's!!
     I bought two bottles.
     I know ham pairs with white wine, but I don't like white wine as much.  So I reconnected with my love.
     I caressed her neck.  I helped her out of her cork.  I gave her time to breathe.  Then I tilted her, gently allowing her juices to fill my glass of love.  And I took a sip.........
     If someone tells you you can find happiness in a $6.99 bottle of wine, laugh in their face.
     Because sometimes a cheap bottle of wine, is just a cheap bottle of wine.

   
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment