Friday, August 28, 2015

and now, something different

I think I have a vole infestation

     Yes, vole.
     I was trimming the yard today, being careful not to weed whack the surviving solar light, when I saw a little movement out of the corner of my eye. ( Don't let them fool you.....you can whack the light right off the stake.  That's why I remove the lights from the stakes before I weed whack.  Unfortunately, I weed whacked the stakes, sending bits flying everywhere.  I did get replacement stakes.  But that's another story.)
     At first I thought it was a mouse.  But it had a short tail and a long snout....which screams vole to me.
     It disappeared to my left.  Then I saw another blur to my right.  Vole #2!  It disappeared under the wall.
     Now I wonder; will they come in a house?  Should I worry?  Can I find a cat that has claws?
     You may remember me mentioning the hole I found in the middle of the yard.  No dirt around it, just a hole.
     Well, it's a lot bigger.  Still no dirt around it, but noticeably bigger.
     So, is is an animal?  A sink hole developing?  An alien?  Someone from China?
     I have plans to fill it with sand.  No other reason than I have a lot of sand.  Call me crazy, but I can't throw anything away.
     I don't see any tunnels in the yard....so I don't think it's a mole.  It's too big for a mouse or a vole, or a 13 lined ground squirrel and too small for a fox or Burmese python.  I hope.
     And finally, Emily moved her day lillies to a place behind my house.  It is now quite weedy.  In the middle of the weeds, there is a spot that looks like something bedded down in it....maybe a deer or a homeless person.  Hoping it is a deer.
     Which would explain why the back motion detector  light has gone on a couple of times this past week.
     Oh well....life in the country.  Always interesting.




No comments:

Post a Comment