Sunday, November 9, 2014

Woke up, fell out of bed, dragged a comb across my head

I learned something interesting today about music

    St. Pepper came out in 1967.  By then I had turned from a tepid listener to an avid listener.  Sgt. Pepper was a great album, and even today I still love listening to it.  I think it is the best Beatles album, but I also like the White Album....and Revolver....and Rubber Soul....and you get the picture.
     Jackie has Sirius XM in her car.  I was driving to DeKalb or church and had Little Steven's Underground Garage on the radio.
     I can't describe that station.  I love the music because there is a variety of groups and ages and songs.... I heard stuff from The Muffs, Sex Pistols, and Velvet Underground in a 15 minute time period.
     Understand, I haven't heard of many of the groups that get air time, and I am not sure but I think that was the first Velvet Underground song I ever heard.
     Anyway, the station has a heavy British influence.
     This morning show had a theme....1967.  The Rolling Stones were hot, the Beatles were topping the charts.
     The DJ said, the number one selling group in 1967 was.......The Monkees!!
     I was floored.  I just never thought that, always figured the Lennon and Jagger dominated the airwaves but it was Mickey Dolenz, Davy Jones, Mike Nesmith and Peter Tork that sold the most music.
     I would race home to watch their TV show.  It was funny, irreverent and filled with great music.
     I think it was the first music video, except it ran for 30 minutes and had commercials.
     The DJ then played a Monkee song that never went any where in the US but was #2 on the British pop charts for months...Randy Scouse Git.
     I had never heard that one either.  Go figure.
     I always think of that time period as one of amazing music, and one that passed too quickly.  I wasn't into disco, and I sort of lost track of radio after the mid 70s, except for a brief  resurgence when heavy metal became big.
     Notice I said Jackie had Sirius.  I had a free trial membership, then got six months for $25 but I decided to forgo extending my contract at about $92 a year.  Penny wise, pound foolish.
     I miss Underground Garage, and the Buffet channel, and Sixties on Six, and Fifties on Five.
     If they ever went to a Beatles channel, I would sign up in a heartbeat.
     And I miss that music from 1967....good stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment