Sunday, November 23, 2014

I've been working on the railroad

I hung some curtain rods

     That relatively simple task can be accomplished in less than half an hour by most people.
     It took me the better part of the afternoon.  And I am not done.
     It all started when someone decided we needed a new bedspread in the blue bedroom.  That's the one Julia uses when she comes home.  So we got a new bed spread.  It was white, with a pattern.  The curtains were off white.  So we had to get new curtains.
     Mind you, the house is only 2 years old.  Actually, we just hit our two year anniversary!!  Woo hoo!  Could celebrate on the patio, but.......
     Anyway, we bought white curtains.  Which means the off white could go in the yellow room, where the computer is and where I sleep at night when my shoulder hurts too much to stay in bed.
     We bought quality rods.  My eyesight isn't as good as it once was, but I believe the rods were made in Chana.
     I got out my stud finder, which immediately lit up when I held it against my chest.  (Beth, stop laughing.)  Got my mini step ladder and found the stud, realized I didn't have a pencil to mark it.
Got off the step ladder, got the pencil, climbed back up and marked where the stud should have been.
Went to the basement and got my drill, drilled a pilot hole.  No stud.  Had to use plastic anchors.   Went to the basement to get bigger bit.  Went back to the basement for bigger, bigger bit and brought the whole shebang upstairs.
     Went back up the step ladder...I think you get the picture.
     It was like a stair stepper workout.  Up, down, up, down.  I can't believe I could drop a screw so many times.  Next time I have to remember not to put on hand lotion before doing a project.
     I finally got the small window hung.
     The bigger window went a lot faster.
     It's never good when it goes good.
     I need a center support for the wide window.  The center support that comes with the rod will not work.
     So it's a alot like Dolly Parton at 90... a little saggy in the middle.
     I mounted the brackets to the wall, and the middle bracket has to mount on the trim.  All three brackets are the same size.  If I mount the middle bracket to the trim, it pushes the middle out about one half to 3/4 inch.  Plus, the bracket is wider than the trim.
     Damn.
     But they are up.  My next challenge is to find something I can use for a center bracket.
     And it has to be black, because that is what the rod is.
     This was a relatively easy task...wonder what the ceiling in the basement will be like??
     Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment