Thursday, November 20, 2014

Midnight special, shine your ever loving light on me

I started hanging Christmas lights today

     Yes, it was cold.  Very cold.  Yes, I know I could have done this when it was warmer, but for some unknown reason, I decided to wait until just before Thanksgiving.
     Yes, I understand it got abnormally cold early this year, but the weather gods did not check with me on when I was hanging lights.
     I got two strands up.
     I don't know if they work, but they are up.
     I promised Jackie I would finish Saturday.  Hopefully the rain will not come till afternoon and I will find some young kid eager to make a few bucks to come in the morning and move my dirt. Otherwise, I will wait until after Thanksgiving, for the dirt.  Lights are going up Saturday, rain, shine or wind chills of -60.
     I don't have a lot to hang, but enough to not want to do it when it is 9 degrees outside.
     And yes, I should have moved the dirt, washed the windows, waxed the cars, brought in the hose reels and mowed the yard one last time, but normally I would have until Thanksgiving to do that.
     Normally.
     But my shoulder hurt too much to do most of that.  It still hurts, but not as badly.
     I came out of my bike accident better than Bono.  He crashed his bike in Central Park and had an arm so badly broken they put plates and screws in it.  I think he had a broken bone in his face too,  or U 2.
     I still have to put window covers on the basement windows.  Last year they filled with snow and I actually got into them and shoveled them out.  I had a hard time getting out.  I thought I would stay out there forever.  Coyote chow.  My yelling would not have brought any help because I am always yelling about something.
     Thus, (I love that word!)  I will be braving the elements to put up lights, and maybe move dirt.
      The dirt is probably frozen, so it will not be easy to move.  I will need a jack hammer and some explosives, but I will get it moved.
       And I think I will go to town Saturday afternoon and relax with a cup at Cypress House.  After the lights are up.  The dirt will just have to wait for Mother Nature to give one more window of opportunity for me to miss.


No comments:

Post a Comment