Sunday, August 31, 2014

Happy Labor Day

I have had lots of jobs

     Sometimes I feel a little guilty being retired when other people are still working.
     Then I realize I have been working since I was 11 or 12.  Seriously.
     I had a paper route through a factory.  Sold the Daily News and Chicago American.  On Thursdays I would ride with Swede on the Daily News truck.  I would run papers into stores and news stands while he waited in the truck.  I also would take over the news stand for Jim.  This was a wooden shack at Ashland and Irving.  He sold all sorts of magazines and papers.  He seemed to be a really nice guy.  I remember he had a kerosene heater in the shack and I loved the smell of the heater on those cold winter days when he was gone and I was in charge.
     I worked at a local food store, then at age 16 I worked at a National Tea Store on Ashland Avenue as a stock boy, bagger, produce guy....you name it.  I still have a scar on my right knee from my first day on the job.  Turns out I did not know how to use a hand truck with a load of boxes on it.  I pushed back and was immediately pinned to the ground by several cases of Campbell's soup.
    Worked at a Jewel food store while in college.  I was in the deli, working with a great group of people.  Mona, Sandy, Bruno...we made quite a team.  And during the school year, I worked at Williston Hall in food service one year and at the Northern Star one year.
     I delivered Lava lamps.  Well, at least for one week.  I ended up back at Jewel when they found out I could not drive a stick shift.
     Worked for the post office as a substitute clerk carrier.
     Had a three hour shift at McDonald's........seems you can't ask for days off on your first day.
     Worked in a hospital as a pharmacy technician.
     Worked construction for Tilton Industries.  I actually helped build the fort structures that were in front of the old Vagabond, at the entrance off 251.  Later these were moved to Skare Park.
     Worked second shift at Caron Yarn.
     Was at the Rochelle News Leader for 11 years.
     Unloaded seed corn and learned to play euchre at Funks in Ashton.
     Was hired to teach fourth grade at Tilton.
     Drove a pea picking combine for Del Monte.
     Taught summer school.
     So when I turned 60 and could retire, I did.  I was tired.  Tired of working, of getting up every morning and being some place.  Tired of following rules and regulations.
     So on this labor Day, I celebrate not working.
     And I salute those of you who are still on the job, building houses, fixing cars, teaching kids, saving lives.
     May you never grow tired.



No comments:

Post a Comment