Friday, September 6, 2024

I miss 2016

 I loved seeing Anthony Rizzo again


    Yes, he is now wearing a Yankees uniform, but I love what he did for the Cubs and for Chicago.  He was/is a great person.

    Funny, last night when I was folding my laundry, I turned on the TV and Marquee sports had the 2016 NLCS final game.  The Cubs were ahead 5-0, it was the top of the eighth and I sat down and watched it while folding.

    Now folks, we all know how the story ends.

    But it was great seeing it again.

    Chapman got the Dodger batter to hit into a double play:  Russell to Baez to Rizzo and the Cubs were advancing to the World Series.

    To see the faces of the players, team personnel, fans....some with tears streaming down their faces, well, it was a bittersweet moment.

    My mother was a Cub fan and never saw them win a World Series.  She may have read about  the 1945 Series, but I know she did not go or watch it on TV, which was not common yet.  Maybe she listened on the radio, but she was raising 2 boys and might not have had time.

    I loved Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Billie Williams, Ryno, the Hawk, Grace, Ramariz and a bunch of other greats who I could name but not spell.

    But the 2016 Cubs..... I loved every one of them. 

    The window closed too soon.  Russell was charged with domestic violence, Schwarber  was let go to save money, Rizzo and Baez traded for future stars  Some retired, like Zobrist.  Some are still playing, Soler, Schwarber, Rizzo, Chapman, CJ (I think)  and when they are not hurt, Bryant and Baez.

    I hope they realize how much excitement they brought into our lives during that incredible season.

    I watched the Rizzo tribute today and thought he would choke up.  I did.  Then the standing ovation his first at bat.  Fans still love him.

    I had a couple of missed opportunities today.

    I should have gone to the game.  I would have had to plan. that months in advance, but it would have been cool to see him.

    I should have checked to see when the Big Boy steam train was coming into Rochelle.  A couple of FB friends posted pictures and videos of it moving through the countryside west of Rochelle.

    We bought tickets to see Godspell tonight, but MS has a funny way of making people not feeling well enough to go places.  That happened tonight.  So I am sitting home and going to watch......the Packers in Brazil.

    When we tuned it in on Peacock it was available in 2 languages:  Spanish and Portuguese.  I found the Spanish version weird because Brazil speaks Portuguese.  But we found the English version on You Tube.

    Go figure.

Peace and Love



No comments:

Post a Comment