Tuesday, December 6, 2016

it's a beautiful day

It feels like spring here

     Temperatures are very mild and the sun was out all day.
     There is still a mist that hides some of the mountains, but the view was much clearer today.
     I walked down to center Vevey to visit the weekly farmers' market.  It took about 45 minutes, but the brisk weather was very inviting.  Lots of strollers, joggers, bikers along the lake.
     I love the market. I had a lemon tart from one of the vendors and it was amazing.
     Food is a big part of life here!  Last night Julia and I went to Montreux to their Christmas market and had supper.  I ordered way too much.....next time I will know better.  We had a small Cornish hen, macaroni and soup....rather I had the soup and Julia had the macaroni.  Th soup was enough to fill me, but I did also eat most of the hen.  It was very good.
     One of the surprises I had is the Christmas market does not have many stands where people make goods and sell them.  I always thought there would be local craft people who worked the entire year on items for the Christmas market....but that is not the case.  Most of the items are factory made, some even factory made in China.
     But all the food is local!  Churros are big this year.  So is the hot mulled wine.
     Santa was even there!  Flung high in the sky above the market!
     Here are some pictures.

Enjoying some hot wine at the Montreux market

A mountain of cream...not at the market

Montreux market


Santa flying over the market.  His sleigh is o a wire suspended between two poles.  There is a real person in the sleigh, waving and waving to people below

Sweets come  in all shapes and sizes

Supper at the market

Noel town in Vevey....little trees started at about 27 dollars

I did not guess the weight...but it is a big one!

Entrance to the Manor

Manor meat display...lots of fois gras

Manor wrapped like a present.  It.s beautiful at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment