Tuesday, August 25, 2026

for the birds

 I have good bird news, and sad bird news


    Jackie and our morning help spotted a fine young specimen in the back yard this morning.

    It was slowly walking through the yard, frequently stopping.  It then moved to the green space behind our yard, where it continued to slowly walk.

    Unless somebody knows differently, we are calling it a Great Blue Heron.

    We had a couple show up last year, and maybe the year before.

    Friend Nadine was over today and she said long before our street had houses she would see them in the field.  She stayed and visited with Jackie while I went to PT.

    Herons typically hang around water but we don't have any water near us.  There are a couple of creeks, but  not close to our house.

    Their diet can include small mammals.  That makes me happy, because I hope they are hunting the ground squirrels around the house.

    That's the happy news.

    Now the sad news. 

    I took Beth out last night about 10:30 and there was a bird perched on our bird bath in my little front garden.  It was all huddled up and did not flinch when I approached it.

    Beth had to go out again later, and little birdie was still there.

    It was still there this morning, but instead of perching on the side it was floating in the water.

    Now I wonder if I should have put it in a box in the garage and put some water and seed in the box.  Oh well.

    Emily landed safely in Wyoming.  She  is going out there for a short break from work and life in Rochelle.

    I think I need a break too.

Peace and Love

    Especially Peace


Heron on patrol






No comments:

Post a Comment