Wednesday, October 1, 2014

sorry hon, I'm taking a coffee break

I wish I had learned French long ago

    Oh sure, I took it in high school.  But I was lazy and unmotivated.  Now I am lazy and old.  Studies prove it is easier for a young person to learn a language than for an older person.
    So I ask this question:  Who put the parley in vous?
     I have had several conversations with people in French/English.
     Julia's neighbor speaks English, but she prefers French.
     In French, she asked how I was.  In French, I replied I was fine and hoped she was too.
We both laughed.  Last time, she called me "the professor" and has given me a couple of pointers on how to say something over the years.
     That fairly competent moment was followed by a conversation with a woman who owns a winery down the street from Julia.  I have gone there several times.  I know she speaks English, but her husband does not.
    So I saw her on the street and said, "Bonjour....how are you?"  My combination French/English greeting confused her.  She answered, in French, "I am fine, thank you."  I then came back with the amazing response, "Merci."  And I bowed!  She still does not know what I am thanking her for, or why I bowed.  Hell, I don't even know what I was thinking.
     At least I understood her, unlike the truck driver who asked me for directions.  Or for money.  Or offered to buy me lunch.  He talked so fast, I had no idea what to say.  So I bumbled out, in slow motion:  I don't speak French; I speak French not; Merci! and finally, I don't understand you, I am American.  At which point he thanked me, probably for his morning laugh, and drove on.
     At the bakery, I managed to buy one loaf of bread and a butter croissant, ordering in French.  When the lady asked me which baguette, something or blanc, I went with blanc because I know that is white and I wanted white bread.
     So I have started listening to podcasts of Coffee Break French.  The lessons are about 15 minutes long, hence the coffee break tie in.  They are free and fast paced.  I am on lesson four.  If I had done this six months ago instead of playing spider solitaire, perhaps I could parley vous with the best of them.
     And now, for some exciting pictures.

The croissant was still warm

Julia's downstairs neighbor is blaming this on us...has been beautiful for two weeks!

The funicular is closed....cement and tracks replaced, again.

Chardonne funi station ... a little messy with the construction, love the wood building

Julia's apartment building....notice the sun is out, just not over the lake!!

Pinot noir in the making

Grapes are being harvested now....these beauties look ready

All the times I have been here, don't think I have ever taken this picture!
Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment