Tuesday, October 21, 2014

put your left foot in, ya put your right foot....

I am about to step in something.....

     I want to have my basement ceiling finished by the time Julia gets home.  It makes the room quieter, and better looking in case friends from St. Louis come for a couple of days.
     I have a soffit that is 6 ft. by 29 ft.  I would like to put a tin  type ceiling in the space.  And I want to screw it in place, not nail it, in case I have to remove it to get to the pipes in that area.
     That's my plan.
     I have no freakin' idea how to accomplish it.
     Just thinking out loud here:
     If I buy firring strips, I can screw them into the existing soffit cross beams.  I can't use the cross beams to attach the tin panels, because they are not evenly spaced.
    Once I get the firring strips screwed up, in more ways than one, I will put some insulation in to deaden the sound.
     Then I will start screwing up, in more ways than one, the panels.
     No ladder work, everything is reachable because it is a soffit and is only about 7 feet off the ground.
     The tin type ceiling panels come in 2 x 4 sections.
     I will need screws that match the panels......if that is possible.  What if I spray paint them a close color?
     Will it look stupid with screws showing?  Or would they be looked at as part of the design?
     Why have I decided on a tin type ceiling?   Would an acoustical tile ceiling be better?
     Why do I not make a decision and start the stupid project?
     aaagh!!!
     All this thinking has given me a headache.
     And I have to do a blood test tomorrow, so I have not had anything to eat or drink in the last two hours and it is driving me insane.
     Anyway, if anyone has any tips, experience, advice.....let me know.
     I might even listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment