Sunday, October 26, 2014

why didn't I think of that?

Sometimes I don't plan ahead

     I ordered the tin ceiling.  Now all I have to do is put it up.
     This is not as easy as it seems.
     First off, I have to decide on plywood or firring strips.  Firring strips are cheaper and easier.  Plywood would make it easier to install the panels, which are 2 x 2.
     First decision, plywood.
     Now, I have to fasten the tin panels to the ceiling.  If I use round headed screws, will they show and be a distraction to the pattern?  Will flat headed screws work better for the overall look?  Should I just get black screws so they stand out and become obvious to their presence?  Will trim screws work, with their tiny heads and custom colors?
     I don't want to nail the panels because the soffit covers water and gas pipes.  I thought, in my little mind, that if someone ever needed to get to those pipes, unscrewing stuff would be easier than unnailing.  If you can unnail.
     Emily, who has done more reading on this than I have, said wood trim is not recommended, because the wood will not set evenly on the tin tiles.  I hadn't thought of that.  Not sure what I will do in that case.
     Bob, Jackie's brother, asked what I was doing on the facing part of the soffit.  Hadn't thought too much of that either.  Originally thought I would get a 1 x 12 piece of pine and paint it red.  No reason why, except to add some color.  Maybe I could stain it to match the oak trim.  Maybe I can just paint what is there and not spend money on it.
     And all of those questions are part of my problem:  I get an idea and proceed, not thinking it through to the end.  Maybe it's ADD, maybe it's just optimism that all will work out.
     I can get the big picture.  I just can't get the focus to get there.  I don't want to be negative, but that's how my personality developed.  (If you are counting, that is four photo references in two sentences.)
     The tin tiles should arrive this week....which means I am going to work on this eventually.
     I wonder:  How many people does it take to put up my ceiling?  Time will tell.
     Meanwhile, feel free to volunteer.  You could hold tiles, cut plywood, or make cream puffs.  In any case, help would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment