Thursday, October 2, 2014

I guess I should check off the check list, huh?

I can't believe how much I forgot

     Not about Switzerland, or French, or quantum mechanics.....but how much I forgot to bring.
     I have a great sweatshirt, fleece lined, zip up the front, looks clean.  Would have been great for the chili nights here.  Still in my closet.  My connecting cord from the pc to the camera, someplace in Rochelle, but not here.  And where is that second bag of candy?  Not in the suitcase where I thought it was.
     And I had a checklist!  Emily saw it.  John saw it.  OK, they may have noted nothing was actually checked off on it and my suitcases were packed, but mentally I went over the list.
     I thought I might buy a sweatshirt.  I am wearing one of Julia's, a Georgetown Hoya shirt.  So I went to look for one....cheapest one I found was 79 Franc, which is about $81, for a sweatshirt!!  I did not buy it.
     Since I was in town, I picked up supper at the carry out counter in Manor, which is a huge department store/food mart.  Think Walmart with a Bloomingdale's line.  I ordered three medium dishes and one large rice.  80 Swiss franc!  I about crapped!!
     I went into town, which means I had to ride the funicular.  But the funi is closed for repairs, and a bus runs the route.  6.60 franc to go down.  It's another 6.60 franc to come up.  So I bought an all day pass at 15 franc and went down, took the train to a little town called Chexbres, walked back to Julia's, had lunch, rode the bus down to the store and rode it back up to Chardonne.
     Living in Switzerland is expensive.  That's why salaries are so high here.  Besides the mountains and the stoners, everything is high here!
     Anyway, some pictures from my day.

Wine press in Chexbres

Chexbres street view

Leaves are turning...that is yellow, not sunlight!

Grapes ready to harvest...hand cut, put in yellow boxes.  Nets are to keep birds away.

A view along the walk.  The route from Chexbres to Chardonne follows one lane roads through the vineyards.

Flowers growing out of the walls

The first land projection is where the Nestle headquarters are in Vevey

The fight against bird grape thieves is ongoing!

Lake Geneva...not sure what the yellow ribbons are for, maybe another attempt to keep away birds.

Sheri K.......your door!  Still there

This bush was full of orange berries.

Vines, roses, the lake, a boat....doesn't get better than this!

Local wildlife...they are everywhere!!

Yes, they are all over the world!!

No comments:

Post a Comment