Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Up on the roof.....

Heights really bother me

     I did not realize how much until a shingle or two came loose on our very first house.  I put a ladder up on the back porch, climbed on the roof with my hammer in hand and nailed the loose suckers down with roofing nails.  Then I sat there for 15 minutes, petrified.  I was afraid to move.  The smell of food finally lured me down.
    Jackie did ask if she needed to call the fire department, but I did not want to expose myself to more ridicule than necessary.
    We had a foreign exchange student from France when Emily has in high school.  We took her downtown to the Hancock building.  As soon as we stepped off the elevator, I glued myself to the wall surrounding the elevator bank and inched my way around the observation deck.
     What happens?  Glad you asked.  I get dizzy.  I break out in sweats.  I giggle.  And I can't shut up.
      Which meant while the rest of them were off looking at the gorgeous view from the top, I was blubbering, apparently to myself,  and sweating like an idiot.  No wonder some people reported me to security.
      I try to be brave.  I can now climb the wooden observation deck on IL 20 on the way to Galena.  For years I would only make it up one landing.
     And the last time we camped on Isle Royale, I made it to the top of the fire tower.  Don't ask me how.  I think my eyes were closed the entire walk up.
     I also climbed an observation tower in Door County.  I think.  I remember looking out and I was on top.
      The open grid stairs are the worst.  I always have the sensation I am falling.
      Julia took us to an area in Switzerland for a walk in a gorge.  We had to pay admission and were comforted by the signs that said the property had been inspected for safety.   In 1988!  Nothing like going15 years without an inspection to instill confidence.
      Initially, it was a pleasant climb.  There was a family of four...teenage son and daughter, mom and dad..... who passed us like we were standing still.  They were bravely tramping up the side of the gorge.
      Now, the gorge was pretty steep.  The way up was iron open grid stairs that were affixed to the side of the rock.  Standing on the stairs, you looked down into the river.  We kept climbing, slower and slower, until we reached a particularly steep climb about one fourth of the way up.
       The overly confidant, athletic family came steaming past us....ashen faced, shaky, and in a big hurry.  I think the kids were crying...but that might have been me.
      We continued.  We reached a bridge over the gorge and I looked up.  Literally, I could hear Zeppelin playing "Stairway to Heaven."  These open grid iron stairs last inspected in 1988 kept climbing and climbing and.......  we turned around and went back.
      Every time I looked down, it was as if the earth was spinning beneath my feet.
       I'm OK in an airplane.  Three years ago I actually rode a ski gondola in Switzerland and was a bit woozy, but kept taking pictures to keep my mind off of where I actually was.
       And then there's the Grand Canyon incident....
       Some stories are best left for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment