Thursday, February 27, 2014

It really is Grand

I cried when I saw the Grand Canyon

    I just stood on the North Rim, looking out and completely teared up.  I was 53 years old and was seeing it for the first time.
      Jack and I drove out to Estes Park, Colorado, to visit Rick and Kathy, friends of hers from high school.  We all then took a road trip from their Colorado house  to the canyon.
       When I looked out of the window at the north Rim Lodge and saw the colors, and the depth, it was like a dream come true.  For years I had seen pictures, imagined its beauty and hoped I could get there.
      And there I was, looking at one of nature's wonders.
       That night a ranger led us on a hike out to a point.  A bunch of us trooped along with flashlights.  We got to the end and he pointed out cities that glittered in the dark like stars in the sky.  And the stars were amazing.  Quite an experience.
     The next day I decided to venture on the same trail in the daytime just to see what it looked like in the light.
     I almost cried a second time.
     Not for the beauty, but for the sheer terror of looking down and seeing.......well, a hell of a lot of air.
     Where were the guard rails?  The fences?
     I hit a part in the path where there was a rock on one side and nothing on the other.
     Understanding my fear of heights, you can appreciate why I put my back against the rock wall and shuffled sideways.
      People with little kids and grandmothers were walking past me, staring at me!  I could hear the laughter in their minds!!
      It's terrible when little kids laugh and point.  Lesson learned.
      Kathy came past and said, "Terry, are you all right?  You look a little pale."
       I told her I was fine and said she didn't have to wait for me.  Fifteen minutes later when she passed me coming back, she offered to help me.
      But I was determined to make it out to the viewing area.  On my own.
       I made it out to the end.  Breathing several deep sighs of relief, I looked out over the canyon for what seemed like a long time.
      Then I headed back.
      I reached the rock but this time I merely walked close to it, making sure one hand was on the rock wall the whole way.
      We were gone 40 minutes at night.  I was gone over an hour during the day.
      When I got back I was thirsty, shaky, hot, and had to pee.
      But I had seen the canyon.
      A few days later Jackie had a torn retina and we had to abandon the rest of the vacation and drive straight home.
     Not the best way to end a trip, but life happens sometimes.

     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment