Saturday, February 15, 2014

I swear, I can cook

I set fire to my popcorn popper

     I have a Whirley Pop popcorn maker.  It sits on the stovetop and when the oil gets hot, you put in the popcorn and turn a crank. The lid is two parts....one side is fixed and the other side opens.  It is really a great popcorn maker.
     Using it is a fairly easy procedure.  I have done it hundreds of times.
     Sometimes I get a little lax on procedures.
     I put the oil and one kernel in the pan.  You put one kernel in to test the heat of the oil.  When the one kernel pops, you put about one half cup of popcorn into the Whirley Pop.
     But I went off to talk to Ross for a second....just a second.
    The flame was on high.
     I smelled burning oil.  I hurried back into the kitchen and opened one side of the container.
    Opening the one side introduced oxygen to the mix.  The flames leaped out of the Whirley Pop, almost scoring the range hood.  I quickly put the lid back on and removed it from the burner.
     We have a saying in our house...when the smoke detectors start buzzing, dinner's done.
     Well, the smoke detectors started buzzing.  I opened a window (it was about 7 outside) and turned on all the fans.  I put the smoking, spitting Whirley Pop out into the garage.
     The house had a thin haze through the air.  And a terrible smell.
     I finally washed out the Whirley Pop tonight.  It still smells.  I cleaned it as well as I could, and I hope it is enough to wipe away the odor of the burning oil.
      I just hope it produces popcorn the way it used to!

No comments:

Post a Comment