Saturday, February 1, 2014

I generally don't speed, but.....

I usually obey the speed limit

     That being said, the winter of 78 or 79 had a lot of snow.  Roads were constantly closed and I felt like we were going to be trapped until spring sprung in Rochelle.
      One weekend, like a miracle, the skies turned blue, the wind stopped blowing, and the roads were actually clean.
      We headed to DeKalb and coming out of Creston, I was doing about 70 when I saw the state trooper sitting in a little dip just east of town.  I immediately slowed down, but his lights went on.
I pulled over before he could even get on the road.
       "Do you know how fast you were going?" he asked.
        "Yes sir, I was at 70."
        "I clocked you at 67," he replied.
        "Well, I saw you first."
         "Are you in a hurry?  Late for an appointment? Need to be someplace?"
         "No sir."
         "Then why were you going so fast?"
          I looked him straight in the eye and told the truth:  "It felt good.  We haven't driven on a clean road in months.  I just got carried away."
         He gave me a warning.  I don't know if it was my honesty or the fact his first name was also Terry that left me with a written warning instead of a ticket.
         Five months later, in Iowa, coming down a hill I hit 65 and an Iowa trooper pulled me over.  He gave me a  written warning and said to slow down.
         That August, driving a dealer loaner car because mine was in the shop, I got stopped on bypass 20 near Freeport.  My speedometer went on the 0s....50, 60, 70....this car showed the fives  55, 65,75.  I thought I was doing 60 when I was doing 65.
         When he ran the plates, he discovered the dealer car had an invalid registration plus some other issues....so he gave me a warning.
         "This is a written warning.....do you know what to do with this?"  he asked.
        And without thinking I replied, "Yes sir, stick it in the glove box with all the other ones."
      Within an eight month period, I had three warning tickets.  Three strangers, policemen I had never met, had graciously given me a second chance.
       Alas, my luck finally ran out.  I was on my way to the doctor, had a case of strep throat, could barely talk, overslept and was late for my appointment.  On Il. 38 in front of May Mart, I was doing 35 in a 30 when flashing lights appeared.
      I was working at the newspaper then, and knew most of the policemen in town, including the officer who pulled me over.  I breathed out a sigh of relief.
     He did not get out of his car right away, but when he did, he said "Hello Terry.  You were doing 35 in a 30, and I am giving you a ticket for that."
      To this day it irks me that total strangers let me off, but guy I knew gave me a ticket.
      And yes, I deserved it....I deserved all of them.
      But I haven't had one since......because now I watch the speed limit very carefully,
     

No comments:

Post a Comment