Sunday, February 23, 2014

I think I'm getting emotional, again

 I hate Olympic closing ceremonies

     I love watching the Olympics. especially the winter ones.  I tune in the summer games, but the winter games really capture my attention.
     I love the features they do during the coverage:  The Russian hockey team members who died in a plane crash, and the Jessica Gold adoption adventure were my favorites.  I love the skiing, the snowboarding, the speed racing, the biathlon, the curling the ..... well, I think you get it.  I love the winter games.
     And these games were so amazing.  A 15 year old skater capturing the world's attention, while a 17 year old countryman captures the gold.  A mother of two,  encouraged by her family to shoot for a medal one more time,  this time succeeding in skeleton.  The effort of the cross country skiers as they crossed the finish line in first or 27th, falling to the ground exhausted and elated at the same time.  Teenagers from every country, competing on a world stage...and winning medals of every color.  The frustration of Shani Davis and other US speed skaters as medals eluded them in every race.
      And the floor of the stage for the opening and closing ceremonies....amazing technology.
      I love the hope and optimism reflected in the games.  Nations competing without violence..  The hundreds of young children taking part in the opening and closing ceremonies.  All the bonds and friendships the athletes formed.  The fellowship of nations on display as we all wish it would be everywhere, everyday.
    All those reasons, and more,  is why I hate the closing ceremonies.  It signifies an end.
     I also realize I will almost be 70 when the next winter games begin in South Korea.  70.  To even type that is depressing as hell.
     The closing spectacular...and I mean that in a good way...it was spectacular....is over.
      The flame is out, on its way to South Korea.  The stadium is empty.  The announcers quiet.  The athletes are returning home, some to begin training for another shot at the gold.  Some will be retiring, never having achieved the gold they have worked so hard to hang around their necks, but not quite making it.
     In four years the youth of the world will be assembling in South Korea.  They will once again pursue their dreams.  Some will win, some will fall.
     They will once again deliver the message of a society of peace, tolerance and respect.  Someday, we will listen.
     Like Misha the bear, I too am sad...and maybe a little teary.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment