Friday, March 7, 2014

Smokey the Bear at your service

I once told a man his house was burning

     Kind of a followup to yesterday.   It was a dark and stormy night, the lightning was flashing and the power was gone.
     We were living on Southview Drive.  I looked out my front room window and in the house diagonally across from us, I saw flames!  I told Jackie to stay by the phone and I raced over there, in the dark, and pounded on the door, yelling "Fire, Fire, Fire!"
     This guy, about my age, came to the door.
      "Whoa man, what is your problem?" he asked.
      "Your house is on fire," I screamed at him.  "Get out"
       "Whoa....calm down, you'll wake my baby brother.  The house ain't on fire, man, I was just outside burning some garbage and having a smoke....you know what I mean?  You didn't call the cops did you?"
      I assured him I hadn't.  Looking in his front room window, you could see the huge blaze in the middle of his yard.  It honestly looked like the front room was on fire....except it wasn't.
      I am glad we didn't call on that one.  I think the firemen were still laughing at me for calling in the overheated radiator in the car parked in the city lot on Main Street.  From a distance, radiator steam looks a lot like smoke.
      Doesn't it??

No comments:

Post a Comment