Monday, March 17, 2014

bug and bog....they are close to the same, right?

I don't read things closely

     I read things, and then I "read" things.  I think we all do it.  Some writings are worth reading (like mine) so I read carefully.  Other writings are just drivel (like mine) so I scan for the main ideas.
     And sometimes I just don't read right.
     For example, the crossword clue was light blue.  Four letters.  I tried navy, and it didn't work.  Neither did nile.  But it started with N....so I thought and I thought till my puzzler was sore.  (I love Dr. Seuss!)  Then I read the clue, for the 10th time.  It was light bite.  Nosh works.  Nosh fits.  It wasn't a color at all!
     At the flower and garden show today I  read the label:  Jimmy Jump Ups.......and Linda said Johnny Jump Ups.  Oops.   Jimmy, Johnny....Jimmy Johns and I got hungry.
     I spent time reading a sign for a bus schedule that was clearly labeled "weekends only" while today is a weekday.
     And sometimes I miss the main idea completely.   I thought of driving to the flower and garden show today at McCormick Place.  But Dan and Linda said let's meet a the train station and take the bus.  And we did.....to Navy Pier, where the flower and garden show is being held!
      I can read a news article and pick out 15 mistakes...but I can make that many in something I write and never see any.  Last week I posted on Facebook that I was looking for show boxes.  Show boxes?  What the hell are those?  I was looking for shoe boxes.
     But, in the long run, it did not make a difference....no one told me they had shoe boxes.  Or show boxes, either.
     At Homecoming last fall I was looking forward to a photography class reunion at NIU.  It was from 2-4 in the photo department.  I went at 2....nobody was there.  I called Jackie and asked her to look at the invitation.  Yes it was 2 but it was on Friday, not Saturday.  How did I miss that?  I read that invitation at least 5 times to make sure I had the right time.   I should have known, because in my day at NIU Friday was the party day....but we met at the Shamrock, not the photo lab.
     Now I wonder about all those books I read.  Did the South really win?  Were there Axel powers in WW II? Did the Cubs win a pennant in '08?
     And schedules?  Those are an entirely different topic.
   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment