Friday, March 14, 2014

I was a pretty good teacher....of some things.

I am a stacker

     When it comes to paper, I stack.  I stack it on my desk, on the table, on the kitchen counter.  I don't know what to do with stuff....so I stack it.
      I taught Emily to stack.  She has piles on counters, tables, in the garage.  I taught her that.
      I taught Julia to stack.  She has piles on her big table.
      Jackie is beginning to stack.  Not that she is a slow learner, but she used to be able to handle paper  until I wore her down.
     I have been a stacker ever since I can remember.  When I worked at the newspaper, I would have several stacks:  story ideas, news releases to localize, news releases I may be able to localize, papers I did not know what to do with.
     When I went into teaching I stacked.  Papers to grade here; notes from the office there; lesson ideas over here; project ideas over there.  At open house or parent night I would stack them all, with student papers on top, and hide them in a cupboard.  At the end of the year I would create another stack of papers to deal with at the start of the school year.
     No matter how many sets of organizers I buy, or stacking trays I collect, it's never enough.  And it doesn't help.
     It's a curse, I tell you.
     My first name should be Robert.
     It's getting late...and I have some papers to look through.  I just have to pick one of the three stacks and get started.  Maybe.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment