Sunday, June 8, 2014

ughhhhhh..... I can't decide!

I am looking for a motel in St. Louis

     I am going for one night.  I want a clean, reasonable, well located hotel/motel....and I can't make up my mind.
     My destination is a Chuck Berry concert.  I really want to hear "My Ding a Ling" and "Johnny B. Goode", or however it is spelled.  I also want to see how an 87 year old guy rocks.
     But I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a room...and you know I am challenged when it comes to driving in a new town.
     I looked at the Parkway, which is where I am leaning.  But there is a Holiday Inn Express and a Clarion Inn that are also in the running.
     I have an issue with motels.  I don't like a lot of noise.  I hate dirty rooms.  I don't like street noise.
     One time I went to Alaska with a fellow teacher.  On the way back we drove late and found a motel.  We checked in.  I was tired, but still noticed the number of females that seemed to be in the lobby and around the front door.  The place was popular, people were in and out (of their rooms, don't be dirty) all night.  In the morning we noticed they also rented by the hour....for truckers who needed a few hours of shut eye. (wink, wink)
     Jackie and I stayed in a motel in Keokuk, Iowa, that was, well, dicey.  It seemed clean.  It looked clean.  But it was old, run down, and cheap.  We didn't know any better.
     We stayed in a chain motel one time coming back on vacation.  It had a continental breakfast.  Hungry me got up in the morning and went down to find ...... toast and coffee.  And the toast was not good.  No jam, mind you.  No butter.  Toast.
     Sometimes I prop a chair under the doorknob.  I don't want to be like Neal and Del in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" and have someone break in in the middle of the night.
     I also carry a little bottle of bed bug repellent (Walgreen's used to have them...have to check for a new bottle.)  I spray the bed and under the bed and the mattress and the floor and the chairs.  And I never leave clothing on the floor or on a chair, always on the luggage rack or on top of the dresser.
Bed bugs give me nightmares.
     When I went to Holland a few years ago, I stayed in a cheap hotel in Amsterdam.  It was in the red light district.  Across the street was a bar where the people kept chanting in a rhythmic fashion.  I saw the live sex show signs the next morning and realized what the cheering was about.  My room was 14.  It was odd, because it was on the third floor.  Room 24 was below my room.  The room was compact.  I could sit on the toilet and rest my head on the sink.  When I stretched my arms out to my side, I actually touched both walls at once.  It was a terrible experience.  But it was cheap.
     The neatest experience was in Germany, near Hitler's Eagle's Nest.  The hotel was taken over by SS troops.  There are photos of the building with the swastika hanging on the front and SS staff cars in the parking lot.  There were 18 rooms.  We had three of them the first night.  We were the only guests, because the woman did not like renting rooms to people.  It was spooky and very neat at the same time. Sleeping were evil slept.
    Anyway, if you have any suggestions....fire away.  The concert is in the West End area and the only hotel close was $392 a night....way out of my price range.
   
     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment