Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Shake, rattle, and roll

I love music from the 50s and 60s

     I can't explain it.  I just love the music.  Maybe it's a simpler time, maybe it's because I was a kid and had no responsibilities.  I just like the tunes.
    Freddie "Boom Boom" Cannon gets me rocking with Palisades Park, Bill Haley gets me going with almost anything he and the Comets sing.  And how can you not tap your toes to Elvis, the Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly and Little Richard?  Good golly, Miss Molly, it is hard not to get moving when they start singing.
    We have vehicles with Sirius XM on them and I listen to about 5 stations, including the 50s and the 60s channels.  I also like Underground Garage, and they play lots of oldie rock and roll too.
     I don't think my parents liked the sounds, however.  I can remember my father telling me to "Turn that crap off " several times.  But I always found a way to listen.
     And I don't think Julia and Emily are particularly impressed by the music, every time one of them drives our car we have a hip hop station tuned in.  And I can hear my father in me when I say, "Turn that crap off."
      But for pure singing along music, the 50s and the 60s can't be beat.
      Don't get me wrong, I love the Beatles and the Stones too, but that is a different age, and a different type of music.
      I think it was the Drifters who sang Up on the Roof, and I remember as a kid thinking how cool it would be to go on the roof of our apartment building and watch the stars put on a show for free.  I never actually did that, but I can sing about it 53 years later.
      And who could not laugh at One Eyed, One Horn Flying Purple People Eater or Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini. (Underground Garage played a version of that by a German band and it was absolutely amazing!) My favorite novelty song was done by a group who took bits and pieces of hit records and blended it into a news report of aliens landing.  And the legendary Stan Freeburg did a version of St. George and the Dragon in a Dragnet style.  Maybe that's where I got my love of comedy.
       Anyway, I love that period.  And tomorrow I am going to experience it....live and in concert.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment