This was a pretty busy day!
I took part in a museum program. I read a letter from John Jay arguing for a Constitution. Friend Steve read a letter from Mr. Gerry opposing signing the Constitution.
Writing back them was much more, how to say it? They used big words and complex sentence structure.
Sometimes I stumble when reading big words. Like sanguine. I think this is the first time in may life I had used it in a sentence.
Digression. I would give my fifth graders a spelling/language assignment where they had to use a spelling word in a sentence with correct capitalization and ending punctuation. My sentence for sanguine would mimic some fifth graders. I don't know how to use sanguine in a sentence.
But I learned it is an adjective and is used to display optimism in a tense situation.
I also realized we will have a whole generation of people who will not be able to read any of the letters or hand written manuscripts done before Covid. Reading cursive is a lost art. Writing cursive is lost art.
Actually, my handwriting is terrible.
A student came up to me after the first report cards of the year went home. He said his dad thought I had a funny first name.
I said it was pretty common. The boy replied his dad had never met someone named Tenny. that is when I realized my cursive r pretty much looked like an n. Still does.
After the museum thing, I watched a little of the Bears game. When do Super Bowl tickets go on sale?
Jackie and I also put together fruit kabobs for our neighborhood block party.
I cut the fruit and she put it on the kabobs: apple, banana, grapes, strawberry and cucumber.
I also bought a yellow watermelon, but the pieces were too hard to stick on the kabobs.
And yess, the melon is yellow on the inside! I cut up pieces and put them in a platter but not a lot of people seemed adventurous
I saw an Eastender and asked where he lived and what his name was. (I divide our street into Eastenders and Westenders. We are Westenders. It has nothing to do with a certain British drama series.)
He said, "Same house I lived in last year when you asked. And the year before. And the year before when you asked me. I think n ext year I will just put Terry on my name tag."
It was a nice time. I did know a lot of the people, and even met some new ones.
I just don't remember their names.
Peace and Love
Especially Peace
No comments:
Post a Comment